When it Happens: Boxes are distributed Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 P.M. to 12:00 P.M. at The Salt Mine located on 590 Lincoln Blvd. Clients can receive one food box a month; exceptions are granted on a case by case basis.
- One box of cereal or oatmeal
- One pound of pasta
- One jar of pasta sauce (if available)
- Three side-dish meals (ex. 2 Pasta Roni & 1 Mac and Cheese)
- One Jar of peanut butter (if available)
- Five cans of vegetables
- Three cans of fruit
- Four large cans of meat (ex: stew, chili, or pork) and two small cans of meat (ex: tuna)
- One can of tomatoes, any variety (sauce, stewed, diced, etc.)
- One large, and two small (10 oz.) cans of soup
- Two cans of beans (baked, refried, pinto, etc.)
- One box of crackers
- One box of cookies
- One package of spices (if available)
- Four packages of Top Ramen (if available)
- One box of baked goods (if available, ex: cake mix, corn bread mix)
- One package of Jello (if available)
- One container of juice (if available)
- Two condiments (if available)
- One handful of individually wrapped snacks (if available)
- Rice, dried beans, and powdered milk are optional; every client offered the ability to add these items.
Our boxes scale down to one individual, up to a family of six. Using the listed ingredients, family of four can prepare nutritionally balanced meals for a week. Our boxes comply with nutritional guidelines published by the USDA to insure that the hungry in our community are not only taken care of, but taken care of well.
Food boxes are supplemented by donations from a variety of local business. Excess perishable goods are distributed on a first come first serve basis after the food closet closes.